The rules for posting are simple!

1. Every Friday post a photo that includes one or more flowers.
2. Please only post photos you have authority to use.
3. Include a link to this blog in your post - http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
4. Leave the link to your FloralFridayFoto post below on inlinkz.
5. Visit other blogs listed ... comment & enjoy!

When to Post:
inlinkz will be available every Thursday and will remain open until the next Wednesday.

Thursday 19 April 2012

FFF22 - CALLA LILY

Zantedeschia is a genus of herbaceous flowering plants in the family Araceae, native to southern Africa from South Africa north to Malawi. The name of the genus was given as a tribute to Italian botanist Giovanni Zantedeschi (1773–1846) by the German botanist Kurt Sprengel (1766–1833). Common names include arum lily for Z. aethiopica, calla, and calla lily for Z. elliottiana and Z. rehmannii although it is neither a true lily (Liliaceae), nor Arum or Calla (related genera in Araceae). It is also often erroneously spelled as "cala lily".

It has often been used in many paintings, and is visible in many of Diego Rivera's works of art (see The Flower Vendor, amongst others). The Zantedeschias are rhizomatous herbaceous perennial plants growing to 1-2.5 m tall with leaves 15–45 cm long. The inflorescence is a showy white, yellow or pink spathe shaped like a funnel with a yellow, central, finger-like spadix. The Zantedeschia species are poisonous due to the presence of calcium oxalate. All parts of the plant are toxic, and produce irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat, acute vomiting and diarrhoea. However, in some countries the leaves are sometimes cooked and eaten after suitable preparation.

Join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and please leave a comment once you have done so!

This post is part of Madge's Weekly TopShot meme.



38 comments:

  1. Hello Nick.
    Great pictures you show of a calla.
    Wishing you a good day.
    The weather here: sun + 10.8 degrees.
    Hugs Hanne Bente / hbt.finus.dk

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of this white calla lily are growing in the wild in our mountainous areas in the Cordillera mountains. Some enterprising local people gather them and shift to Manila as this is a common funeral flower. We don't see them in the lowlands as they only grow in semi-temperate climes. [i have been peeping if FFF is already up as previously you post it early in the week]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these flowers - I have a few planted in my flowerbeds - a pink and a white - and they do come back year after year, even though we are in zone 7 or 8, can't remember which! And, I always appreciate your research! I will link up on Sunday with my SOOC shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nick...
    Beautiful shot of a white Calla flower often called Calla lilies.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Gisela

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Nick,
    updated my tropical flower blog with Canna lilies pics.
    Enjoy,
    Gisela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I love about this flower is its heart shape. Nice touch with the dew drops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the silky, delicate curl of this calla lily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really lovely!!i have some in my garden too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I like about the Calle lilly is that each of the angles taken look so different in shape. This is a great top view! The elegance of the Calle Lilly is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful image!
    Reminds me of my childhood in Portugal! You could see these flowers in lots of gardens there!
    Thanks for sharing;o)

    ***
    Happy day****

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful shot of a beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic shot. Very beautiful color and great quality ..
    Love greetings, Karin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn! Your calla lily is just completely exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exquisite flower! I have never been able to make it flower in my garden:(

    ReplyDelete
  15. a classic, pristine flower Nick; beautiful photography

    ReplyDelete
  16. they are so pretty! I'm participating in FFF for the first time .

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful shot of this special flower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Breautiful. I love the creamy texture of the flower.

    Herding Cats

    http://seathreepeeo.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very common flower and yet one of the most beautiful. Gorgeous shot!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Calla lilies, they are just lovely! I have a couple of plants in my garden, they're just now coming out! I can't wait to see the blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the shape of flower. One glance at this flower can easy a troubled mind! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful shot. I can't join in the fun until this silly challenge is over because I have to post one photo that's based on the prompt of the day.

    I'll be around come May.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The lily was beautifully captured. :-)

    Thank you for the link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a gorgeous shot of the calla lily. They are such beautiful flowers.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I see more and more photographers are discovering Floral Friday Fotos. How delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. love callas for special reasons. had some in my old house.your macro is beautiful,

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply stunning! Calla lilies have such beautiful lines. You captured it well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful shot. You captured the lovely heart shape that makes Callas so romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Kalia jest pięknym kwiatem,a jeść jej nie będę :-). Wspaniałe zdjęcie. Trochę jestem spóźniona z wpisem u Ciebie, ale mam nadzieję, że mi wybaczysz. Pozdrawiam.
    It's a beautiful flower, and I will not eat it :-). Great picture. I'm a little late with an entry for you, but I hope you forgive me. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love the calla lily photo! Thanks for hosting. (Newest follower)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Secondhand Bikes in London, I surely hope that anyone seeing your link here vows to never visit your shop. You are abusing a site that is free and non-profit, and your advertising is not welcome here. There is nothing in your webpage that remotely relates to the topic of this meme. Desist from this shameful behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the link up again and the heads up about my link. I deleted the old link and made a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning shot of the beautiful flower!
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  34. i should remember to join in here, i already followed so i'd be prompted it's up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. ah yes, i realize i posted quite some flower pics recently.. :) next time i add them to your theme.. :)

    ReplyDelete